Tips for keeping warm
We asked you to share your tips for keeping warm on our Facebook page. Over a thousand warm and cozy Kiwis responded! Here's some of our favourite tips:
Keep the house warm
- Invest in roof insulation and thermal curtains. They don't cost much and are worth every penny! – Bradley R
- Close all the curtains before the sun goes down – this helps lock in the warmth. - Liz M
- Door runners are great to put in front of doors to keep chilly drafts out. - Arron C
- Close all doors to rooms not being used - especially those connecting to the hallway. This helps to keep draughts and 'cold' windowpanes from affecting the general heating required for rooms being used. - Jeanette J
Wrap up snug
- I put my kids onesies or PJs in dryer to warm up so they’re nice and toasty warm for when they get home from school on cold days, they love it - topped off with a cuppa tea each and cookies. - Shannon J
- Microwave your underwear before putting them on and going outside! - Wendy Y
- Invest in a onesie – doesn’t matter your age or size they keep you warm as toast! -Melissa M
- Wear plenty of base layer clothing such as merino thermals! - Trent F.
- Pop your crockpot on in the morning, you are guaranteed a hot meal in the evening - Lee H
- Cooking meals in the oven, i.e. rice pudding, lasagne, casserole, roasts... it makes the house warm and welcoming with the aroma of home cooked goodness. - Catherine C
- Eat lots of oily fish, omega 3 increases blood flow so your feet and hands won’t get so cold Matthew F
Check out our recipe database for mealtime inspiration.
- Have a shower before going to bed and you'll have a better sleep. – Shirley B
- A hot water bottle keeps me warm as well as keeping the power bill down - Coral P
- Placing woollen blankets under the bottom sheet on your bed will help with keeping you warm. This I have done ever since my children were very young. and now the grandchildren. Works well if you can’t afford the power bill for electric blankets and safer. Jacqui D
- Put your pillow under the blankets with your electric blanket on before you go to bed.... so come bed time not only do you have a nice warm bed but also a toasty warm pillow to keep your head warm as well! - Michelle B
- Let the cats sleep with you. They squeeze in tight to your body and are better than hot water bottles... - Elaine B
To see if you're one of the lucky winners, click here. Plus, like us on Facebook to be the first to know about new compeitions.